Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tokyo: October 4, 2011



          (Tip: Click on photos to see a larger version or go to www.ronalddunlapphotography.com)

      All marterials including photographs are ©2011 Ronald Gary Dunlap / Doglight Studios.                                                            All rights reserved 
I was up early in hopes of saying a proper goodbye to the crows, but sadly they were engaged elsewhere. After finishing my toilette and making sure I hadn't left anything behind, I took the elevator down to the street to walk off some of my nervous energy. For fuel, I sucked down the last of my Royal Jelly pouches and stepped out into the chilly morning.
 

 After settling my hotel bill, I boarded the airport shuttle bus at 10 a.m. and watched out the window as the bus waded its way through Tokyo's mid-morning traffic. As usual, I don't like to rush at the airport. In the past, I've had a couple of expensive close calls, and I'm too cheap and cautious to let it happen again. The bus arrived just after 11:30, and with my bags in tow I made my way over to the Delta check-in counter.
After all the formalities, I still had a few hours before the boarding process began. I found the currency exchange and got a little over one hundred and twenty-five greenbacks for the ten thousand Japanese Yen I'd just handed over. That left me with just over ¥1,000 ($13) in small bills and coins to enhance the next few hours. I spent just under $9 for a German-style hot dog, chips and Diet Coke that would have to suffice as both my breakfast and lunch. I topped it off with a Dove (-like) ice cream bar that was a smooth ending to my return visit to Japan.
 
When my section was finally called, I found my seat — 33G — and had no trouble in getting both my bags in the overhead bins. Then, to my great pleasure when they closed the door, both 33H and 33I were empty, so all three seats were mine. I was looking forward to stretching out once the plane was in sleep mode.
 
The economy section had a great many Chinese nationals headed for Los Angeles. Once the plane was airborne, they wanted to fill up the unused premium seats, so they would sneak up and take a seat, and then the flight attendants would chase them out. I thought I'd be able to sleep, but because the Chinese and the flight attendants played musical chairs all night, it was impossible to rest.
 
Epilogue
 
Visiting Tokyo is an expensive proposition, but even with the dollar's meager exchange rate, it's a worthwhile endeavor. My budget for this trip was three thousand dollars, but due to my self-indulgence I went 25% over. My biggest splurge was upgrading my ticket to premium economy, which ran an extra two hundred and fifty dollars. Even with eating as cheaply as my stomach would permit, the cost of food and transportation in the city is something you've got to watch.
 
Tourist Info: Never order anything in a restaurant or bar without having seen a menu with prices on it.
 
Costs
 
Delta flight from LAX to NRT
$1,426.40
Premium economy upgrade
$   250.00
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku (11 nights)
$1,214.81
Airport transportation (both ways: Tokyo)
$     75.00
Airport transportation (both ways: L.A.)
$   100.00
Tokyo transportation (trains and subway)
$   200.00
Food
$   320.00
Misc
$   120.00
__________________________________________________
Total
 
$3,706.21
 
I recommend the Suica Card. It doesn't save you any money, but it makes everything so much easier when it comes to getting around. You don't have to worry about correct change or if you purchased the right ticket, you just swipe the card and you're on your way. It's also honored by many of the shops located in and around the rail stations.
 
Scorecard

Tokyo: 9.5 stars. It would have gotten 10 if it hadn't been just so goddamn expensive.

 
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku: 8.5 stars. This hotel was perfect for me, but most guests would like a slightly larger space so that they can have their suitcase open and still be able to move around in the room.


Airport Shuttle Bus: 9 stars. A great service. It would have been a 10 if they hadn't been so militaristic in the marshaling of their passengers.


There is an old wives' tale that says that the Japanese have three hearts: one they show the world, the second they show their families, and the third they show only to themselves.
 
Tokyo is very much like that. With its veneer of orderly progress and attention to detail, it is the shining face that Japan wants to project to the rest of the world. But if the seasoned traveler is diligent and has a bit of luck, there is the possibility of getting a glimpse of this extraordinary city's second heart.

(if you'd like to be placed on my mailing list, just drop me a note at: rdunlap@doglight.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment